Sunday, August 28, 2011

Fast forward 45 years . . .

   As a small child of 8 years old and attending parochial school, there were two things I sooooooo wanted to do.
 
   FIRST - to ring the bells letting all know that church service's were beginning.
   SECOND - to be an altar server and close to the the 'table'.

   However, the 'rules' of the church in which I was raised did NOT allow girls to do either one of these.  So, I just wrote a letter to the POPE.  Certainly he could and would make a change.  NOT!  What's one to do then as a child so young and wanting to serve in these small ways?

   I went on to become serve as a Eucharistic Minister, a Lector, a Youth Minister, visiting the sick and bringing the Eucharist and prayer, a guitar player during services and still grew into adulthood realizing that that same hole I had as an 8 year old child was never filled.

   Fast forward 45 years!

   Recently I attended the funeral of a childhood classmate at a church that felt familiar & similar with a HUGE difference.  The priest is a woman, the alter server(s) acolytes are girls, the bell ringing is shared, the lay ministers are women & men, etc. etc. etc.  I FOUND my place!  I have attended ever since!

   I now RING that bell.  Three short rings, PAUSE, three short rings, PAUSE, three short rings, PAUSE.  Soon, I will once again be reading the word. One day I will be so close to that table that this 53 years old woman will be able to forgive the wrongs spoken and shown to a small 8 year old child of God.

   I have learned NEVER to QUIT!

   NEVER!

   There IS and ALWAYS will be a place at the table!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment