Saturday, September 17, 2011

Who is the LEADER of YOUR BAND?

   While listening to a mix of music today, up comes this song that I've not heard in many years.  I think I was about 25 years old and working as a Coordinator of Youth Ministry at the time, when my dad was spending Father's Day in Nebraska with my mom and her parents.  I wanted to gift him with something so special that he would always remember.  I decided that I would record this song, leave a personal message at the end and send it off.
   This song really spoke to me in so many ways:  First, that the Leader of MY Band was two-fold and both spoke of Father.  Father / God  and  Father / Dad.  I've written the lyrics for you and will tell you what happened after this was sent to my dad.

LEADER of the BAND
Dan Fogelbert


An only child, alone and wild
A cabinet maker's son
His hands were meant for different work
And his heart was known to none

He left his home and went his lone
And solitary way
And he gave to me a gift I know
I never can repay

A quiet man of music
Denied a simpler fate
He tried to be a soldier once
But his music wouldn't wait

He earned his love through discipline
A thundering, velvet hand
His gentle means of sculpting souls
Took me years to understand

The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growin' old
But his blood runs through my instrument
And his song is in my soul

My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
Oh, I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band

My brothers' lives were different
For they heard another call
One went to Chicago
And the other to St. Paul

And I'm in Colorado
When I'm not in some hotel
Living out this life I've chose
And come to know so well

I thank you for the music
And your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom
When it came my time to go

I thank you for your kindness
And the times when you got tough
And Papa, I don't think I said
"I love you" near enough

The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growin' old
But his blood runs through his instrument
And his song is in my soul

My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
Oh, I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band

I am a living legacy
To the leader of the band.


   The message I spoke about to my dad had to do with his example to me as a child and my appreciation of him as a person.  He had taught me much, and also hid much within himself (as the song speaks).  I told him that one of the most important things I learned from him was NEVER to drink alcohol to the point of being out of control.
   You see, my dad was an alcoholic.  I NEVER wanted to be like him in this ONE sense.  I plead with him in my message to PLEASE quit drinking.  My mom shared with me that when he heard and read the words I had gifted him with, he began to cry.
   Some years later, he over did it and was 'drunk'.  We got in a verbal argument (which was common), and he took the tape I had made along with the card / letter and threw it at me saying, "You did not mean any of this".   Well, I knew better than to argue at this point but saved everything.
   Seventeen years later, as my mom lay dying at home, I said to my dad, "Dad, if you'd like me to continue to live here and help you out - then you've got to quit drinking!"  My mom passed on July 2, 2002.  My dad NEVER drank again  and passed on November 15, 2006.  Within days of mom's passing, my dad asked if I still had the tape and letter!  Of course, I did and returned it to him with love, hugs & kisses.  A miracle had occurred around the illness of alcoholism.
   Father / God  and  Father / Dad  are really one in the same to me and have always been..  I cannot see either of them.  I can, however, feel both of them.  I've not been guided by just one, but by both.  I have been blessed all the way around.
   I KNOW who the LEADER of my BAND is!  Who is yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment