Friday, September 16, 2011

WHY?

   Why do things happen the way they do?  People die abruptly.  Connections are made and then lost. Comfort zones become zones of discomfort.  Commitments are made and then never followed through.  The list goes on and on and on . . . yet for me, on this day, in this time, I only have a few questions that are left unanswered.
   This morning I received a call from a church member informing me that a beautiful, giving, humble and God blessed woman, lost her life last night.  She wasn't sick.  No one killed her.  She just simply didn't feel well and on her way home - passed out at the wheel, crashed and died.  Just like that!  No preparation for those left behind.  Shock, disbelief, tears, etc. from all who knew her.  But I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this woman was always prepared - simply by the way in which she lived her life.
   The Rector, at the church where I worship, has ten more days before her 'interim' position is finished.  A full-time Rector will be hired and lead this very same flock of people.  I have known her for a short time in man's calendar, but in my heart I feel as though I have known her far longer.  She has allowed me to open up and share my Spiritual self.  Not that others don't - but she understands!  She has walked along many of the same roads that I now find myself walking.
   Fifty three years ago my parents chose for me to be baptized and in doing so chose my 'Godparents'.  It just so happens that my father was in the Army stationed in Germany and the Godparents were also a military family.  I grew up never knowing my Godparents and envying my siblings for all knowing and having a relationship with theirs.  Interestingly enough, I happen to be the one to always be involved in some way, shape or form.
   How is this all connected?  Let me share:  The Rector, when I shared my story of a lack of God parenthood, suggested I 'adopt' Godparent(s).  I've spent time in prayer and made a decision to ask a member of my church if I could 'adopt' her.  This was the week I was going to do so.  Last night she was killed.  WHY?
   Perhaps a lesson is being shown to me.  This is NOT a new lesson - but one which I have had much difficulty in accepting.  This is the lesson of PATIENCE!  Without patience, I will always ask the question WHY!  WITH Patience, the answer will be shown to me and the need to question is less prevalent.
   So, this being said, the writings of today can be condensed into three words: 

WHY = irrelevant = PATIENCE
May I, you, the world, ALL of us LIVE by these three words.  Reverse them if need be, then laugh.

1 comment: