Thursday, September 1, 2011

"911"

   While sitting in McDonald's hooked up to the WiFi I noticed a handsome man with two stunningly gorgeous children.  All had dark, curly hair and light blue eyes.  The boy was between 7 yrs. and 9 yrs. and the little girl between 2 1/2 yrs. and 3 1/2.  Such a fun place to be, what a treat, out with dad for a bite to eat.  NOT the case.
   As I sat quietly working on the computer, I catch a glimpse of a 'monster' with teeth so gritted I thought they would break.  Using a soft, but harsh voice with threatening eyes and hand motions, I chose to lend an ear.  "SILENCE" he'd say to the little one.  Interesting, as I never heard a word uttered from her small mouth.  "SIT STILL" he harshly whispers to the boy as he points his finger in his face.  There were absolutely NO words or MOVEMENTS from either child.
   Each time the dad left the table, he threatened the children if they should speak, move or anything else for that matter.  I saw and heard him hand baby wipes to each child over eight times, insisting that they had touched something dirty.  WHOA!  We are in McDonald's folks.
   Having seen and heard enough, I had to refrain from speaking my mind.  Yet, what was I to do?  These children had NO VOICE and I was fearful for them.  I decided that I WOULD be that voice. 
   Quietly and without looking their way, I walked out of the restaurant, retrieved my cell phone, and called 911.  Reaching the California Highway Patrol I was then transferred to the local Police Department.  I shared what I had observed along with my concerns and asked if a welfare check could be made on the children's behalf.  I gave the required information and identifying factors as well as the demeanor of the parent and my fear for the children.
   Returning inside, I again observed absolutely unacceptable behavior, words and threats.  Sick to my stomach I had to walk outside immediately as he told the children to do this and carry that, etc.  They packed it up and left.
   Armed with my cell phone, I sauntered to the parking lot as though I were going to make a phone call.  I then went to my contacts and typed in the description of the car along with license plate and identifying marks on the vehicle.  Immediately, I returned a call to the Police as they had not yet arrived and gave them this information.
   The dispatcher informed me that the plates I had given belonged to a 'totally' different vehicle.  DAMN!  Then a police officer called me and re-entered the plates and gave me the same information.  However, he said that he was so concerned that an APB was being issued within the city and county to locate this vehicle, this man and his children.  WHEW!
   My VOICE was heard.  Through the SILENCE of the children their VOICE was also heard.  I will NEVER be afraid to speak out - for anything!  NEVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment